Thursday, April 24, 2008

Another fun note from the school....

There have been some concerns about Scabies spreading through the school. Scabies is an infestation of the skin with a microscopic mite. The elementary has had two confirmed cases of Scabies. Both of those students have been treated and had older siblings that were infested earlier. Scabies symptoms include pimple-like irritations, burrows or rash of the skin especially the webbing between the fingers and the skin folds on the wrists, elbows, or knees. It causes intense itching over most of the body. Symptoms may take 4-6 weeks to begin. If you think your child has Scabies contact a health care official for treatment. UGH!

12 comments:

Heather K said...

EEEWWW! I'd be tempted to keep them home -forever!! yuck...that must be difficult to deal with!

Just Mom said...

Well ... that kind of just makes your day, huh. Eeeewww...

Heidi Jo Comes said...

two words.

HOME SCHOOL.

Teresa said...

HJ,
Funny you should say that because that is exactly what Robb said when I showed him the note!

Jen said...

I remember Jessie got this from tanning at a certain place here in town. My mom ended up getting it and they had to wash EVERYTHING!!!! They said that they just felt so dirty the whole time. We stayed away for a month before I would go back. Good luck.

Mom to many said...

I know - isn't this just DISGUSTING??? I so hope my kids don't get it. How embarrasing... Maybe you can home school my kids, too! HEE HEE!

graceling said...

My favorite was when head lice went around at the beginning of the school year. Fun!

Tracy said...

Oh.My.Goodness.

michelle said...

I have to echo the "ewwww" gross!

Hope you are staying Scabie free!

Anonymous said...

http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/2008/01/window-mistreatment-101-red-checks.html Hello Teresa,This is Linda{Jess Soucy's Mom}This comment is for your window treatments.Check out the above blog,great ideas listed here and easy directions.Thoughts of skin mites and lice have my skin and hair already itchy.

LISA said...

So, I guess we don't have to go all the way to Ethiopia to get this?!Everyone has been talking about getting them there.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Hey, Courtney ended up with them and they are not near as bad as you would think. We all had to be treated as a precaution. At least we had a heads up, the first kid that got them had them for a long time and was REALLY bad before he got treated for them. They are not as "catchy" as you as led to believe either.