Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Girlfriends

I received this story in an email and thought that it was worth passing on.
To My Sisters:
A young wife sat on a sofa on a hot humid day, drinking iced
tea and visiting with her Mother. As they talked about life, about marriage, about the responsibilities of life and the obligations of adulthood, the mother clinked the ice cubes in her glass thoughtfully
and
turned a clear, sober glance upon her daughter. "Don't forget your Sisters," she advised, swirling the tea leaves to the bottom of her
glass.
"They'll be more important as you get older. No matter how much you
love
your husband, no matter how much you love the children you may have,
you
are still going to need Sisters. Remember to go places with them now
and
then; do things with them. "Remember that 'Sisters' means ALL the
women...
Your girlfriends, your daughters, and all your other women relatives
too.
"You'll need other women. Women always do." What a funny piece of advice!' the young woman thought. Haven't I
just
gotten married? Haven't I just joined the couple-world? I'm now a
married
woman, for goodness sake! A grownup! Surely my husband and the family
we
may start will be all I need to make my life worthwhile!' But she
listened
to her Mother. She kept contact with her Sisters and made more women friends each year. As the years tumbled by, one after another, she gradually came to understand that her Mom really knew what she was
talking
about. As time and nature work their changes and their mysteries upon
a
woman, Sisters are the mainstays of her life. After more than 50 years of living in this world, here is what I've learned: THIS SAYS IT ALL: Time passes. Life happens. Distance
separates.
Children grow up. Jobs come and go. Love waxes and wanes. Men don't
do what
they're supposed to do. Hearts break. Parents die. Colleagues forget favors. Careers end. BUT......... Sisters are there, no matter how
much
time and how many miles are between you. A girl friend is never
farther
away than needing her can reach. When you have to walk that lonesome
valley
and you have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life will be
on the
valley's rim, cheering you on, praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the
valley's end.
Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk beside you...Or
come in
and carry you out. Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters, daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, Mothers, Grandmothers,
aunties,
nieces, cousins, and extended family, all bless our life! The world wouldn't be the same without women, and neither would I.
When we
began this adventure called womanhood, we had no idea of the
incredible
joys or sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we would
need each
other. Every day, we need each other still.
I feel so blessed to have so many wonderful "sisters" in my life. This picture is of my very best friends Heidi and Carrie. I treasure the friendship that we have had since elementary school. I apologize for the quality of the picture, I don't have a scanner so I took a picture of the picture and this is as good as it got. This picture was taken about 10 years ago. (Check out Heidi's six pack!)

6 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

The issues I have with this post are endless...:-) First I can not believe that you admitted that you "took a picture of the picture", I would have just blamed it on blogger's poor quality or something- too funny to picture Teresa!
Second...you have some nerve posting a picture of me in the only top that gave my parents heart murmurs!! Oh my goodness! For that reason I am SO glad that it is fuzzy!
I think that I need to re-evaluate my joy at having you as a fellow blogger...:-)
You are a dear friend and I love that I can just pick up with you right where we left off, no akwardness, no expectations, or hurt feelings. I cherish you and I look forward to YEARS of friendship!

Anonymous said...

Sweet blessing you have in those two women. I have a couple friends that I seldom see, but treasure. Many people have come and gone, but when God give us someone priceless we can never say thanks enough. I love the fact that my daughters are growing into friends. We are sharing our lives on a different level now and it's all wonderful!
Wish we could see Heidi clearly...maybe she could just post a new photo in that HOT new swimsuit :)

Just Mom said...

Teresa,

I read your comment on Heidi's blog and was curious about the photo you mentioned, so I jumped over here to your blog.

Wow, Heidi! Your parents must have really loved you going out in that top.

On a serious note...it's wonderful that the three of you have kept your friendship all these years. I'm afraid I haven't spoken with my best buddies from grade school in MANY years. Both now live in Washington and have children, but that's all I know. You have inspired me to get in touch with them again.

I love the wisdom of your post, by the way. Thanks.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

Oh lord I am SO glad that picture is fuzzy!

Teresa said...

I like Ginger's idea of having Heidi pose in her new swimsuit....think about it Heidi. I'll be checking your blog for that one!

Carrie said...

That is the funniest picture I have ever seen... you have always been so dear to me too! I LOVE YOU. Both you and Heidi have inspired me beyond explanation. Your love for the Lord is awesome, your dedication to your children is inspiring and your tender heart is, well... it's beautiful!

Carrie