Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Why adopt?

After getting this question a few more times this weekend, I thought I would share with you, my blogger friends, the whole story of how we came to the decision to adopt. When asked why we are adopting Robb very simply answers, "It is bigger than we are." That short sentence pretty much sums it up. A year ago in March I followed the adoption journey of a friend of ours. Long after they were home I found myself still reading adoption stories daily on the internet. With Gage not even 1 year old, I knew that this wasn't something for our family but enjoyed reading of other families who gave the gift of life to an orphan. I started praying for orphans and for the Lord's protection upon them. By Fall I was starting to feel a stirring in my heart about doing more for these orphans. With a 15 month old I still felt that adoption couldn't be for us and found many reasons why it just wouldn't work for our family to adopt but maybe we were supposed to be doing missions work. The stirring became more evident and the more God nudged the more I prayed. From November to February I had chronic stomach aches that I saw a doctor about, and of course the tests brought up nothing. He put me on heartburn medicine and sent me on my way. One night in February I woke up with such a heaviness on my chest that I could barely breathe. I started sobbing as I thought of all the orphans in the world that weren't being held that night because there just wasn't enough hands to provide comfort for them. I had a vision of a room full of cribs with babies lying quietly, waiting for their turn to be held. At that very moment I knew that God had a bigger plan for our lives. We were to provide a home to one of those orphans. Well, now that I knew without a shadow of a doubt that this was what we needed to do, Robb hadn't had any of the same feelings. I never shared anything about what I had been feeling because Robb was satisfied with our family after we had Brylie....I talked him into a 3rd and there was no way I wanted to even approach him about a 4th! My stomach aches became worse after my revelation and it was eating me up inside as I prepared to tell Robb about all that had been going on in my heart. Two weeks after that night Robb and I lay in bed and I cried as I told him about what the Lord showed me. I explained that this was not something I sought after, but something that the Lord brought to me. He hugged me with tears in his eyes, knowing what I had been going through, and agreed to spend a lot of time in prayer about it. I knew that the enemy had been working over time on me when, after I spilled my heart to Robb, the stomach aches completely stopped! I haven't had a stomach ache since! After 3 weeks of fervent prayer Robb wanted to proceed with the adoption of a little girl from China. We both felt so confident about this decision and knew that this was the path of the Lord. Well, just this weekend Robb said to me, "ever since making the decision to adopt, I feel like I have been under attack". And it clicked....since that decision, Robb has had a terrible eye infection, pulled a muscle in his chest, which caused him a lot of pain, had several back aches, and most recently has suffered with an aching pain in his side. The devil works in such a way that it took us a while to realize what was happening. We had been chalking up all the aches and pains to stress and whatnot. Knowing that we are "under attack" only makes us more confident that we are doing what we are supposed to be doing. Now that we recognize what is happening, we are committed to praying even more for God's hand upon the whole process. This past weekend I was told by another mom that is adopting that she heard it could take up to 3 years for us to get our little girls. I am believing that this will not happen and we will have our daughters by the beginning of 2009. God can do amazing things and I believe he will miraculously speed up the very slow adoption process so more children can be united to their forever families. So, to answer the question, 'Why adopt?' we can confidently sum it all up by responding with, "it is bigger than we are".

10 comments:

Beth said...

It's not even 8:00am yet and here I am with tears running down my face! Such a beautiful journey you and Robb are on—I'm so glad I get to watch it with front row seating . . . via blogging. : )

Thank you so much for sharing so intimately what God has been and is doing in your hearts. My prayer today is that your words will inspire others to give the gift of a forever family as well.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Thanks for sharing your story with us Teresa. It's amazing how God works in our lives...it's too bad that there are so many people out there that do not see the divine power! Yeah for you and Robb for following your hearts and the works of God!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

you are so right that being under attack is the enemy's attempt at dissuading the weak from pressing on in Christ.

you can wear the aches and pains as badges of courage and honor, knowing that you are more than conquerors in Christ and once you've withstood this assault you WILL win the battle, because the battle is the Lord's.

praying for you more than ever.

~ Amy ~ said...

It's sooo true that the devil attacks us harder when we are following God's guidance. He just can't stand to see God's plan working.

Hope4Grace said...

Teresa,
That was just beautiful. The heartfelt and honest way you explained that gave me chills. Wonderful site!

Just Mom said...

A very touching story, Teresa. Thanks for your honesty.

You and Robb are going to be fantastic parents to that little girl. You already are.

Anonymous said...

Teresa, as you know I have followed a family over the last couple of years as they waiting for Katie to be placed in their arms and just last week she became their daughter! My heart has ached for these littles girls ever since Rod and Michelle adopted. I don't even know them, but prayed for them through Alicia working with Michelle.
It is following God's heart and his Word to care for the orphans of this world. I am so blessed to be apart of this with you as we lift you up in prayer and wait with you for your treasure. We know He is already preparing the way.

Jen said...

Teresa-
This little girl you get is going to be one of the luckiest girls in the world. She will finally have someone to hold her and love her and best of all, siblings who will adore her. I can already see Brylie dressing her up and doing her hair. I have often thought about adopting one day but I just don't feel right now is the time. I am so happy for you both and will be praying with you and for your new daughter. I can't wait to meet her and welcome her into the family! Love you guys! I pray that it is smooth sailing from here on out through the whole process!

Momma Roar said...

Thanks so much for sharing this Teresa - I am so excited for both of you. I'm not sure if I shared that my husband's brother's family adopted their daughter Anna in 2001. She'll turn 7 in Novemeber! You will be such a blessing to your little girl!

Heather K said...

what an awesome story Teresa... God works in us in amazing ways. And yes we are usually opposed when we follow His leading.
I've had this naggling (is that a word?)feeling for several years(since I was a child actually...I know strange..) about adopting... I've spent time in the last couple years, looking at adoption websites and following the stories of people who are adopting foreign babies. I have a friend who adopted twin girls out of Haiti... that really inspired me..her girls are 15 now and they're all on a 2 month crosscountry trek... but anyway... I wonder too if this is where God is heading us also...I love children and have FOUR of my own and sometimes wonder if this is REALLY what He wants us to do... but we need to spend some time like Robb did really seeking God and praying for His direction in this.

Thanks for sharing your story Teresa.