Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Orphanage visit

On our last day in Ethiopia we got to visit the orphanage that Ruby was taken to after being abandoned by her mother. This was a difficult experience. I imagined how Ruby must have felt being put into a room with a bunch of babies, not knowing what was going on. She was less than a month old, but had only known being with her mom. I felt so many emotions on the tour.
This is Almaz, the wonderful woman who started the orphanage. She was very sweet and loves all of the children so much. She lives in a room right at the orphanage. This is the baby room where Ruby stayed.
Seeing the crib that Ruby slept in while at the orphanage, was very hard. I can't believe my baby girl spent almost a month here. These sweet faces pray for a mom and dad. My heart ached as I hugged them. This precious boy watched us as we drove away.
Visiting the orphanage was the hardest part about the trip. There are so many children in need of forever families. My stomach was sick and my heart hurt as we drove away. I pray that all of those children find a home very soon.

7 comments:

Amber said...

My heart aches too and I wasn't even there. I bet you want to take all of them with you1

Heidi Jo Comes said...

robb looks absolutely huge next to that little woman!

it had to take enormous strength, faith and courage to be there, and trust God for the futures of those kids.

ruby is simply divine. i could have sat and held her for a week.

Jen said...

I have tears in my eyes just looking at those kids. I pray that they get to experience the love that Ruby has already gotten soon. I love how she is the center of attention wherever she goes! She is so sweet and that smile just melts your heart. I could have played with her all night last night!!! What a precious gem!

Tracy said...

What a wonderful thing you and families like you are doing. I don't know that I could just come home with ONE.

I am sure you are enjoying every second of being a mommy to four!!

Erica said...

Reading this post has brought me back to that place. I'm in tears all over again. Visiting Silas' orphanage was by far the hardest day for us as well. I wanted to take them all home. :(

Ruby is precious.

Kerrie said...

Oh my - that was very hard to read. I don't think I could even go there. How long are the kids able to stay there? Any idea?

Lisa H said...

Wow...the pictures make me feel like I am there.

I can't imagine how hard it must have been to visit and leave that place.

Hope you're bonding and enjoying every moment with your beautiful new little daughter!