Monday, July 28, 2008
Funny stuff
We took Ruby to church for the first time yesterday and of course she was the center of attention. So many people have been praying for her for so long they were so anxious to love on her. A few people were amazed at how soft her hair is and several said, 'oh, I thought she would have curly hair', but we totally got a kick out of one church lady who very seriously asked if we had been able to communicate with her alright. A little confused I said yes. Then she went on to say how great it is that she has siblings who can help her with her English. Hello?!?! She is 5 months old...she DOESN'T speak ANY language yet. So funny. Robb and I laughed all the way home imagining this poor lady thinking we were trying to talk Amharic to her so she would understand. Bless her heart, but she sure gave us a good laugh. We knew we may be faced with some funny questions, but never thought about this one.
So here are the siblings trying to teach poor Ruby some English. :)
And here's a cute pic just cause Kerrie asked for one. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Oh my goodness Teresa! That's a BEAUTIFUL picture!
She's so pretty.
I am laughing with you on the 'English' comment as Emilee was exactly five months old too and someone (a teacher....seriously!!) asked me if she understood English. I jokingly told her, "She will, because I don't intend to learn Korean!" But seriously, it caught me off guard too! Just gotta smile on those :). hee hee...
Cute pics of all the kids looking on Ruby!
~Jeanne
Look how happy the kids are...I LOVE IT!
Great story! By the way we all know LOVE is spoken with no words at all :)
Teresa,
She is so beautiful and such a blessing.
Carrie
Seriously, the girl has Angelina Jolie lips! People pay big money for lips like that!!
I LOVE them!
She is such a doll and I love the picture of the kids with her...they look so happy to have a new baby sister!
Cute pics!!!
In defense (sort of) of the lady asking whether you could communicate with Ruby, don't underestimate the amount of receptive language Ruby has acquired in just 5 months...Language learning starts at birth and even young babies listen to the speech of those close to them and recognize familiar voices. While the lady at your church was obviously getting ahead of things, it is true that Ruby will go through a transition from hearing one language daily for 5 months to hearing an entirely new one from here on out.
Enjoy your precious girl, she is beautiful!!!!
COngratulations! She is soo beautiful...I want to hold and kiss her!
Okay your story made me laugh. We get funny questions too about living here in Africa.
that is so stinkin' hilarious! i love it, you have to keep track of the crazy things people say, meaning well of course! she's almost as pretty as her mama.
She is just GORGEOUS! I'm so happy for all of you!
You will get a lot of funny comments. I know this from first hand experience. :-) Just last month I had someone ask me if I was going to tell Lily she was adopted. Hello? I think she will figure that out! Then this person told me that I should never tell her she was adopted. Interesting...
Teresa,
Ruby is soooo beautiful!! I can't wait to see her person ;-)
I love the comment on her language- believe it or not,my father-in-law asked the same thing about Madelyn -- getting her when she was so young and only speaking English, we couldn't imagine that she'd just begin speaking Mandarin!! Too funny!!
I hope to see you and Ruby in a few weeks when school begins!
Always,
Juli
Post a Comment